May 23, 2017 – August 31, 2017
Hourly Wage: $15
The Jewish Museum and Archives of BC is dedicated to the collection and sharing of community memories of Jewish life in British Columbia. Through innovative exhibits and programming, the JMABC builds bridges with the diverse communities of BC and heightens awareness of the rich 150 year history of Jews in BC.
The JMABC is pleased to offer a qualified candidate an exciting opportunity to help tell our community history in a new way.
The YCW Research Assistant will research ten BC Jewish individuals, families, and organizations to be featured in a series of short films on BC Jewish history. This research will take many forms, including: archival research, oral history interviews, and community outreach. Through this process, the Research Assistant will contribute to the growth of the BC Jewish Community Archives and learn the challenges, ethics, and best practices of researching community history. They will receive full training in JMABC Oral History policy and the use of relevant equipment.
The ideal candidate for the YCW Research Assistant will have:
- Interest in pursuing a career in the arts, heritage and/or not for profit industry as demonstrated through previous volunteer or work experience and/or an academic background in a related field such as history, museum studies, anthropology, Jewish studies, or education;
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal English;
- Excellent research skills;
- A positive, upbeat attitude and strong work ethic;
- Demonstrated ability to work productively independently, remotely, and as part of a team;
- Attention to detail;
- Experience working with the public, including children and seniors;
- Familiarity with video recording equipment and editing software is not essential but will be considered an asset.
In addition, all candidates must meet the following eligibility qualifications set out by the Young Canada Works program:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of the project;
- Meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which they apply;
- Be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory;
- Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours per week) while employed with YCW;
- Have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the YCW job;
- Have intent to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.
Candidates will be short-listed for an interview based on how well they meet the criteria noted above. The position will be posted for two weeks, and interviews will not commence until the recruitment stage is closed. Once a successful candidate for the position is determined, all applicants will be notified.
Applicants must apply with a resume and cover letter by the application deadline:
Monday, May 8, 2017
Please email all applications to:
Michael Schwartz, Director of Community Engagement
The Jewish Museum and Archives of BC
6184 Ash Street, Vancouver, BC
Subject line: Research Assistant (2017) – <TYPE YOUR NAME HERE>
The Jewish Museum and Archives of BC advocates a barrier-free workplace and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.