The Scribe is the annual journal published by the Jewish Museum & Archives of BC. This anthology seeks to document all aspects of the 150 year Jewish experience in British Columbia, from history, culture, and art, to literature, religion, and contributions to the development and progress of Canada.
Click on the cover of any issue to read that issue online.
Work is underway to prepare the forthcoming 2018 edition of The Scribe, with a focus on restaurateurs in our community.
Join us for a special launch event on November 28, 2018
Featuring guest speaker Susan Mendelson
Cemeteries are often among the first community amenities established. They are sacred places of reflection and vital stores of community history. This issue of The Scribe takes us into both aspects of the importance of Jewish cemeteries throughout the province. What are the rituals performed before burial, and why? How does a community respond when a burial site is vandalized? Who are some of the intriguing persons buried in our local cemeteries? Order your copy today to learn the answers to these questions.
Contact email@example.com to order a copy of the 2017 edition of The Scribe.
From bargain basement to formal wear, factory to retail store, employees to owners, this issue of The Scribe looks at close to a century of Jewish involvement in the clothing industry in Greater Vancouver.
Arriving in Canada with minimal language skills or savings, many Jewish families took to junk peddling. Some transitioned from horse-and-buggy operations to very successful companies.
Building upon success in the peddling industry, some local Jewish families transitioned to furniture sales. At the industry’s peak in 1945, there were seventeen Jewish-owned furniture stores along Granville between Smithe and Davie.
Congregation Emanu-El opened its doors in 1863, just five years after the first Jews arrived in Victoria. Over the next 150 years, the congregation saw ups and downs, dwindling to 15 families in the 1940s, and embarking on major restorations in 1982 and 2012. It is now a thriving congregation and the oldest continuously operating synagogue in Canada, celebrating 150 years in 2013.